Achieve the glowing complexion of the pro’s…
A.M. & P.M. Skincare Routine with Senior Esthetician, Katherine
Katherine, a Senior Estetician in our Perkiomenville MedSpa is filling us in on her secrets to great skin! Her best advice, “Regular in-salon treatments are a must however, to benefit the most from your in-salon experience you need the proper at home skincare regimen.”
Here’s how Katherine follows up her in-salon treatments at home!
My routine to start each day…
- Original- best for sensitive skin (white)
- Asian Clay- perfect for dry, flaky skin (orange)
- Bamboo Charcoal- best for oily or blemish prone skin (black)
Following up after your cleanser, I recommend using a toner. If you have sensitive, dry skin like me, I recommend using a non-alcohol based toner such as theÂ Avene Thermal Spring Water. While alcohol based toners fight bacteria, they can also strip the skin of moisture. The purpose of a toner is to prep the skin for its next step, which is usually your most powerful and potent product that you will be using for the day. You want your skin to absorb as much of your powerhouse product as possible and you can achieve this by applying the product to naturally balanced skin. The Avene Thermal Spring Water is clinically proven to calm, sooth, and soften the skin by helping restore it’s natural balance; and is the perfect foundation for layering your products. To apply the Avene Thermal Spring Water, mist it directly over the face arms-length distance, for about 1-2 seconds, let dry, and continue to your next step!
- Contains antioxidants that help protect the skin against further damage.
- Helps even skin tone and break up hyperpigmentation. (dark spots)
- Supports the skin’s natural ability to produce healthy elastin and collagen and is the only product on the market to produce elastin!
- The emollient formulation helps to volumize and lift aging skin.
The next step is easy but essential- SUNSCREEN! I can’t say it enough! Sunscreen is so important to use on a daily basis. Rain, snow, clouds, or sunshine, it is always a good idea to use a sunscreen. I recommend using SPF 50 which provides adequate sun protection when used correctly, without all the added chemicals found in higher SPF products.Â Sunscreen helps prevent aging and helps protect the skin against harmful UVA and UVB rays. UVA rays are the ones that cause aging, and UVB rays are the ones that cause burning- think of “A” for “aging” and “B” for “burning”. For this step, I favor SkinCeuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50. To apply, shake the bottle (to help mix up those potent protectors), and apply about a dime sized amount to all four quadrants of the face by patting the product into the skin. You will notice this product is tinted as well. This will give you a soft glow (almost like a primer) without the white cast traditional sunscreens leave behind, and will slowly adapt to your own skin tone. You can now apply makeup and start your day!
Prepping my skin for bed…Â
A few key points:
- Introduce one new product at a time: If you start with four new products on the same day and you have a reaction to one of them, you won’t know which once caused it. So, it’s best to play it safe and start one new product at a time. Give your skin 3-5 days to get used to each product and then introduce the next one.
- This regimen is just the starting point: Our Lords & Ladies MedSpas have so many other products to help with your unique and specific skincare needs (such as neck creams, eye creams, blemish products, masks, and more). The routine I’ve outlined above covers just the basics. Your skin care professional will help fill in the gaps to help you customized a regimen and target your personal needs. No two skincare regimens are the same. Start with the basics and gradually grow your routine to meet your needs.
- Variety is the spice of life: Notice how I use different products from different companies. You don’t have to stick with one skin care line. Experiment with different products and find the ones you like best!
- Less is always more: Using professional strength products is very different than using over the counter products. Professional products have a more concentrated amount of active ingredients in them. Always follow the directions on the package, it’s best to start with small amounts, less than what you think you need. You can always add another dab if needed.